A harmless tweet from my friend and fellow SEO Andrew Isidoro gave me a great idea…
@Andrew_Isidoro Oh man, we (the SEO industry) should totally do a ‘guess the date’ type thing, similar to guessing a baby’s due date…
— Steve Morgan (@steviephil) October 30, 2015
What if we did a sweepstake for when Penguin is going to land, and the winner can get prizes/freebies from various SEO people?
Google have announced that the very much long-awaited Google Penguin v4.0 algorithm update “will still happen in 2015,” meaning that (unless it’s delayed into 2016) sometime in the next two months, Penguin shall wreck its usual havoc on the SERPs.
- Tweet me your preferred date. Please do not email it to me or leave a comment below – for the sake of fairness and making sure that people can (publicly) see who entered when (just in case there’s any disputes), I’ll only accept one means of entry: via Twitter.
- If a date is already taken, you cannot claim it. In other words: only one person per date. This also means that only c. 60 people can enter – as soon as all applicable dates are taken (from now until 31st December) then that’s it I’m afraid…! Please check the calendar below to see what’s taken and what’s still available.
- I’ll update the calendar with your entry, then we’ll wait and see when Penguin strikes.
For full terms & conditions, please see the bottom of this post. Yes… I have gone to the effort of providing full-on T&Cs, because knowing my luck, someone will kick up a fuss if things go wrong, so I’m just doing it to cover my behind. Overkill much? Yes. But better to be safe than sorry.
Prizes confirmed so far:
- A free one-year licence (worth £99) for Screaming Frog (thanks Dan!)
- A free three-month Pro plan for Moz, plus a prize pack that will include the Roger figurine and a few other things (worth c. £200+ – thanks guys!)
- A free one-year Pro licence (worth c. £200) for URL Profiler (thanks Patrick!)
- A free one-year Multi Business package (worth £2-300) for BrightLocal (thanks guys!)
- Two free Whitespark accounts (worth c. £500 combined!): an SEO Specialist account for the Local Citation Finder & an SEO account for the Local Rank Tracker (thanks Darren!)
- A free six-month Pro plan (worth £2-300) for SEMrush (thanks Olga & co.!)*
- A free one-year licence (worth c. £230) for AccuRanker (thanks Krystian!)
- An Übersuggest t-shirt (Large) kindly donated by Chris Dyson of Triple SEO (thanks Chris!)
- A couple of BrightonSEO t-shirts (thanks Kelvin!)
- [More prizes announced soon hopefully!]
* Unfortunately the SEMrush prize isn’t applicable to existing customers due to the complications that would arise around their payment system. If a current user wins the prize, they’re happy to offer alternative prizes instead, such as custom reports, additional keyword allowances, an upgrade… that type of thing.
All amounts above that are usually in dollars (e.g. Moz) are rough, based on the current exchange rate.
There’s probably better ways to visualise it (answers
on a postcard in the comments please!), but I’ve used this plugin (IBS Calendar) to do so. Behold: